Marvel Legends Guardians of the Galaxy Wave 2 2017 : Mantis (BAF)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2017 Wave 2 was a wave full of surprises. The first being that Ex Nihilo was included as a Legends figure (awesome!). The second being that Mantis was the build a figure and not Death’s Head II who fits the more commonly held size expectations for a build a figure.
- The deep black of Mantis’s eyes are screen perfect.
- Antennae are well sculpted and sturdily on her head, they feel like they will hold up to a little punishment and shouldn’t break easily.
- The shimmering green paint makes her outfit an excellent representation of it’s on screen coutnerpart.
- Molding on her outfit as well is exceptionally well executed, movie perfect.
- Good movement for the figure, articulation is good at the hips, not limited by the sash at her waist.
- The coloring in her hair isn’t just black. The green highlights really take detail in this figure over the top.
- Hasbro has really stepped up their movie-likeness game in 2017, it shows with every figure in the wave, and it shows here.
- Really nice build a figure, I do’nt have any complaints here, apart from I can’t believe it wasn’t Deaths Head II!
Whod’a thunk Mantis would not only be a sleeper hit character in the movie, but a sleeper hit character in this action figure wave. She looks great, moves great, and fits together perfectly. She also ties the cast of movie Guardians figures together perfectly and leaves one less hole in the movie – action figure lineup. Now if only we could get a wave with Ronan, Ayesha, The Collector, Howard the Duck, and Cosmo. Guess we will have to wait till Guardians of the Galaxy 3 “The search for more stuff to rescue”.
To get a build a figure, you have to buy all of the figures that have her pieces. For Mantis, that includes Rocket, Gamora, Nebula, Star-Lord, Adam Warlock and Ex Nihilo. 6 pieces, 6 figures, retail, around $120. You can still pre-order the full wave at Big Bad Toy Store. If you have to have Mantis (and you do), BBTS is a solid bet. Finding all the figures in a wave is a challenge, though I’ve mentioned multiple times before in this run of figure reviews. Be patient, keep your eyes out because these haven’t really landed at retail yet. The aftermarket is an option here too, but I don’t remember at any point recently a build a figure commanding quite the price tag on eBay this soon around initial release, a recent auction went for over $180!!