Marvel Legends 2017 X-Men Wave 1: Cyclops
Well, well, well, what do we have here? It’s April…we’ve got a ton of great new Marvel Legends… LEGENDS OF THE SPRING!!! Now, I grew up in the 80s and 90s…granted, “grow up” is a relative term, but in that time frame, the X-Men went through a renaissance explosion thanks to Jim Lee and his …astonishing (haaa) run of X-Men in the 90s. I remember collecting all the number ones so I could put the covers together. I held on to those books for a while, and not long enough because I don’t have them anymore, but those books gave me the Cyclops that I would think of whenever I heard the word Cyclops. The half cowl, the harness, the blue and gold with brown hair out of the top, fawning over Jean Grey, tussling with Wolverine and being the iconic leader of the X-Men. Cyclops is a figure that has been released in 6 inch scale before, but that was a long time ago and so much great tooling and advancements in figure making have gone on since then. The result, a really fantastic figure with just a few hiccups.
- This Cyclops captures the most important part of any Cyclops. The visor blast pose. He can hold it perfectly, therefore, he wins always.
- Apart from the visor blast pose, Cyclops is chock-full of solid articulation, ab crunch doubles on the knees and elbows, waist swivel, ankle swivels, thigh cut, the list is complete with all except inward moving arms at the chest, that would have looked weird here anyway.
- The visor is dead on to the comics in the 90s.
- That finely combed nicely parted hair looks perfect.
- Clean paint app here, nothing stray, not a lot of line work but what is here is well executed.
- I am a little late to the party here, so I’m sure you have read a review or two of this figure by now, my “bads” shouldn’t surprise anyone at this point. Firstly, the leg bands don’t stay up very well. I didn’t think it’d be an issue, but any time you move him they flop down. It’s a minor complaint, just put them back in place, still a little tighter and they would have been perfect. As long as you leave him in a pose they will stay, it’s when you are moving him around that they droop.
- Cyclops has yellow “underpants”, yellow gloves, yellow visor, his harness though is almost clearly orange.
I had to have this figure, he is such a part of my love of comics and this really is without question the standard in Cyclops figures despite a few minor chinks in the armor. If you see him, grab him, because the aftermarket is really crazy. Don’t feed the scalpers, but you have to have this figure. Must own for sure!
Cyclops is unquestionably the hard to find figure of this wave. Aftermarket pricing is bananas, but be patient, it’s still early. This wave hit Target about a month or so ago, then Walgreens. It looks like Target is getting limited restock, but nothing has hit Toys R Us or Walmart yet, so there is hope there. Neither your LCS, or Big Bad Toy Store have stepped into this fray yet, but I’m sure they will. Amazon resellers are just out of their minds on the price. *** Update!! Big Bad Toy Store has listed all X-Men Legends Wave figures for pre-order!