Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1
Sometimes, I get to say “Christmas came early!”. It sort of applies here, but more, “2017 came early!” Because somehow, by the magic of some of the good friends and slightly shady toy sellers, I managed to get my hands on the Marvel Legends 3.75″ 2017 Wave 1 set of figures from Hasbro. The first wave of 2017 features a great character lineup and new decos for all. Included in the wave, Wolverine (X-23), Lady Deadpool with Squirrel Pool, Maestro (Marvel Now / Contest of Champions), Moon Knight (Marvel Now), Spider-UK, and Invincible Iron Man. I got a new Moon Knight figure! Not only did 2017 come early, Christmas did too! Not like super early…and for most these won’t come till well after Christmas, but this is all about me. Let’s look at some incredible figures that will be kicking off your 2017 right!
- When they made X-23 the official new Wolverine, the figure collector community gasped and then promptly started holding breath waiting for a figure. It’s here!
- Exceptional design, the costume is comic perfect.
- The hair sculpt on Wolverine is one of the best I’ve seen on a 3.75 inch figure period.
- Claws look great, feel sturdy.
- While this is one of the more slender female figures we have gotten, she is well balanced.
- I believe she shares the same body as the X-23 release, for me, the legging boots on X23 make her feel larger than this Wolverine.
- I generally don’t mention this because I know sometimes I’m sharing early figures and who knows where they were before they got into my hands (fell off a production line or something?), but the paint app here is on the sloppy side where it counts. I’m thinking it’s likely just this figure and it always will vary figure to figure, but look closely when you find this at retail and pick a clean one.
- Moon Knight has had some outstanding costumes over the years. This take on his modern outfit is another comic-perfect representation.
- The contrast on display here is incredible. His body couldn’t be more black, the accents couldn’t be more bright white, it makes for an absolutely stunning figure.
- Another pencil perfect comic page replication of a character for the Legends line.
- Attention to detail here is excellent, look under Moon Knights forearms for crescent shaped accents.
- Crescent shaped shoulder guards!
- Customizers rejoice, this is going to make an outstanding base bodies for a lot of custom figures!
- I’d of liked to have seen a weapon accessory for Spector.
- Not a knock on the figure, just being greedy and wantful, can I have a running change Moon Knight in the suit with fitted mask? I want that.
- As paint goes, in this wave, Spider-UK is untouchable. Amazing sharp lines, fantastic design top to bottom on paint.
- Spot on comic figure all over again, speakings to solid design.
- Beautiful back spider, maybe my favorite on a Spider figure.
- Excellent hand detail with the alternate color fingers.
- The only paint miss here is the unpainted shoulder joints (blue instead of matching the web pattern).
- Limited articulation on any figure with the name Spider in it is always going to be felt, Spider-UK does not have torso or waist articulation.
- Maestro may be my favorite figure in this wave. Saying a lot in a wave with one of my all time favorite characters. The exceptional design and treatment of the figure though is impossible to ignore.
- The armor pieces fit perfect, move well.
- The body type is tried and true, I loved it the first time I got it, I love it still.
- Maestro’s head sculpt and detail are outstanding, no questioning who this is. Check out the up close images in the gallery, the face is stunning.
- Excellent bright green highlights on the armor.
- No trophy accessories included. I’d of paid another 5 bucks for this figure if they threw in a Cap Shield, a Nova head, Wolverine skull, a few others. I’ve got all those pieces for the most part, separately, but it would have been pretty cool in a package.
- I was thrilled to get this figure in the 2013 SDCC Exclusive Deadpool Taco Truck. The figure here a few years removed is still awesome, not much has changed.
- The notable differences between this Lady Deadpool and the 2013 SDCC exclusive, hair color, and a few missing accessories (Bazooka, Handgun are not included here).
- But Squirrel Pool IS included here! Awesome accessory. The only difference between this and the 2013 exclusive I can see is the chest fur color is lighter on this release.
- Would have been nice to get all the accessories she came with in her Taco Shell release.
Invincible Iron Man
- I’ve been excited to get a figure of Marvel’s All New All Different Invincible Iron Man since the armor debuted and Hasbro did not disappoint.
- Very cool sculpted blade weapon on his right hand.
- Welcome return of torso articulation!
- Good detail in grooves or armor with alt color paint.
- Further solid attention to detail with repulsors on back and palms of hands.
- Sculpted blade weapon, while awesome looking is a permanent fixture and cannot be removed, it would have also been cool to see the gold color blade making the figure a perfect match for the Invincible Iron Man action figure variant cover released by Marvel.
The modernity of this wave is amazing. 5 of 6 figures, all from 2014 and more recent, highlighting the best of Marvel Now and beyond. Look at each year as an album. You need to start off with a strong song to get people into the album. Hasbro and the Marvel Legends 3.75″ team understand that, and have executed well on the concept. I am a fan of each figure in this wave, they all expand my collection and fill gaps, some of which, I didn’t even know were there. What’s next though? Well, first, these actually need to come out, so stay tuned and keep watching for more official retail channels to pick these up, you are going to want them. Some of the other epic figures that will highlight 2017, Hydra Cap, Age of Apocalypse Magneto, Jewel (Jessica Jones), a “definitive” Spider-Man with promised oodles of articulation, Shocker, Tombstone….2017 is going to be a very good year for fans of Marvel 3.75″ figures. Hasbro is doing it up right, so keep your eyes peeled, and keep coming back here for updates!
For now, your only opportunity to get these figures is eBay and avenues far shadier than that. Or, if you know a guy, who is the best guy ever and always looks out for you, because he knows that Marvel 3.75 is your favorite figure line and you run a website where you say nice things about them, and about him. I’m not gonna tell you who that guy is, but he’s my hero.