Marvel Legends 2017 Guardians of the Galaxy Wave 1: Sam Alexander Nova
Today is Valentines day, and Valentines day is for lovers. So today, we are going to look at a pair of Marvel Legends figures! Let’s get started! Day three of Marvel Legends 2017 Guardians of the Galaxy Wave 1 coverage gives us a pretty polarizing character for me. Sam Alexander, Kid Nova. When this character debuted, I hated him. Full resentment. It wasn’t much his fault, it’s that Marvel was bringing back Nova, and it was this dipstick kid and not Rich Rider, who wasn’t long before killed, for no real good reason. Since that time though, I’ve followed the Nova books and Sam Alexander has grown on me. With the most recent re-launch, Sam is now officially teamed up with a returned from the grave Richard Rider, so we are mostly cool. That said, on announcement of this figure, I was pretty excited to get hands on, not only is he is a solid figure, but add him to Miles Morales and Kamala Khan and we are one Totally Awesome Hulk away from The Champions!
- One of the most important things to nail with a Sam Alexander Nova is the frame and Hasbro did it perfectly. The size / scale here is exactly how he should fit in with the rest of the Legends toy line.
- Deco / paint is perfect, no sloppy lines, this is yet another page perfect replication of the intended character, well done.
- Articulation here is really very good, you can work Kid Nova into quite a few appropriate positions with ease.
- Another incredibly important thing to hit on with a Nova figure is the helmet. The Black Nova’s are done justice, great justice here.
- Nova includes the Supernova Corps member Phlish. This poor little dude only made in 4 books in 2013, but hey, I’ll take any Nova Hasbro wants to give me! Phlish is a well done little, non-artiulated action figure.
- I’m very happy with how both the eyes and face came out on this figure.
- He’s not Richard Rider.
- At some point, I’d really like to get a set of Nova’s with removable helmets.
Hasbro did a fantastic job with this figure, they really did. Especially since the only downside I can really think of is that this isn’t Richard Rider! Speaking of, and I mentioned part of this before. Now that we’ve got an official in line Sam Alexander, Dear Hasbro, let’s finish the Champions! I’d love to see a Cho Hulk! I’d also love to see a new deco of Richard Rider to match his 2016/2017 comic appearance, beefed up chest / shoulders, maybe an alt deadish face…Christmas? Can I have that for Christmas?
The Guardians wave is available for pre-order at most of your favorite online toy and comic spots. Keep an eye on retail, where these figures are already starting to show up! For me, I’ll save on gas and just get an order in at Big Bad Toy Store!