The giveaway has ended, the winner has been contacted and accepted their prize. Thanks for participating!
Long time friend of MUReview Mike Drake recently penned a book called Contemporary Krampus. Having never really known much about Krampus, and with some recent media attention surrounding Krampus (the man…or woman has a movie comin’ out!), my curiosity was piqued when I got an email that Mike’s book was available. A few days later, not one, but two copies of Contemporary Krampus showed up at MUReview headquarters. We used one to read and review, and the other, we are giving that away to you wonderful folks. Just read the review first, giveaway details are way down below. Also note – Contemporary Krampus is available for purchase now!
Contemporary Krampus takes the Krampus character into the modern era of art by showing current day artistic renderings of the Anti-Santa as composed by some of today’s most innovative artistic minds. Drake does an outstanding job of bringing together all of these brilliant works of entertaining and sometimes terrifying works of art into a highly legible collection.
What I liked
- There is so much intense art in this book. Mike Drake really put together an outstanding crop of disturbing and enlightening images.
- I liked a lot of specific photos, I’ll share a few below and why.
Asia Erickson – page 105
Why I like it – It’s a freaking baby demon!
Eric G. Salisbury – page 98
Why I like it – In my opinion this is one of the most disturbing images in the book.
Liran Szeiman – page 76
Why I like it – Next to a baby demon, this wins cutest of book.
Phil Dragash – page 64
Why I like it – This is a freaking creepy picture. Freaking creepy.
Jack Hart – page 48
Why I like it – Reminds me of Nightmare Before Christmas…which I was never a fan of, but my kids love it. So it gets points.
Melissa Ciccocioppo – page 38
Why I like it – Why isn’t this a Skylander?!?!
Alex Diochon – page 22
Why I like it – This throws me back to the Zelda Wind Waker art style, which I absolutely loved!
What I didn’t like
- The only down side to the book for me was that I was a little confused the first time I saw an entry from the point of view of the artist (not from the perspective of the author), there were quite a few entries like this. It’s not a big negative, it’s more about the fact that I had the expectation that the words were all coming from the author (which mind you I enjoyed and was looking for even more from), so when it was obvious that someone else was speaking, specifically at first, I was a little confused.
What was missing
- For me, any collection considering modern artistic awesomeness is incomplete without a contribution from the guys over at Penny Arcade. Being familiar with their portfolio, a cartoon Krampus is right up their alley and I was a little let down to not see anything from them in this collection.
MUReview is elated to be able to give our readers the chance to win their own copy of Contemporary Krampus courtesy of author Mike Drake!
How to enter
MUReview does not retain a mailing list. We do not send a newsletter, we will not spam you or disseminate your email address to anyone ever. This is a guarantee, not our friends, our family our sponsors. No one.
- Automated entries and duplicated e-mails will not be counted. Cheaters will be disqualified.
- Previous Twitter follows and Facebook Likes for MUReview.net will be counted (so we already have hundreds of entries! Get in here!)
Entry Period: 11/12/15 – 11/21/15 (10 days)
OFFICIAL RULES: Your email will not be shown and will be kept private. Giveaways are open to readers 18 years of age or older with a shipping address in the contiguous 48 United States only (sorry Alaska, Hawaii, and the rest of the world, shipping is expensive). If you enter, make sure you have a safe location in the USA for me to send this to. Prize will be shipped to the winning entrant via USPS Media Mail.
The winner will be randomly selected. Winner will be notified by e-mail within 5 days after the entry date deadline. Winners must respond within 2 days or the prize will be forfeit and a new random winner will be selected. If someone enters and does not have a valid US address to ship to, prizes will be forfeit and a new random winner will be selected.
The use of any automated launching or entry software or any other mechanical or electronic means that permits the participant to automatically register and/or enter repeatedly is prohibited and all such entries will be disqualified.
MUReview is not responsible for any late or lost entries, electronic, hardware, Internet or other computer/communications related malfunctions, giveaway disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of MUReview, any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the giveaway or prizes lost in shipment. All federal, state, local or international taxes associated with the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. By entering this giveaway, you release MUReview from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all courses of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the giveaway or delivery, mis-delivery or acceptance of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
About the prizes: Donated by MUReview Mike Drake. If you have previously won anything from MUReview you must wait 60 days to participate in any additional giveaways. Previous Facebook likes and Twitter follows for MUReview will be counted and do not need to be re-entered.