As Seen at Comic-Con: New DC. Marvel, Ghostbusters, Predator and More Coming from Diamond Select Toys!
By now we trust everyone has recovered from Comic-Con International in San Diego – even if you weren’t there, the deluge of information you’ve been slapped with is likely only now beginning to sink in. But now some of the items that made their debut at the Diamond Select Toys booth are open for pre-order through your local comic shop or favorite online retailer! Read on for the details on new DC Animated items, new Marvel Comics items, new Muppets items, and new movie items from Predator, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice and National Lampoon’s Vacation!
Batman The Animated Series Man-Bat Resin Bust
A Diamond Select Toys release! Beware the Man-Bat! The newest resin bust in the epic line based on Batman: The Animated Series depicts scientist Kirk Langstrom as his monstrous alter-ego, the Man-Bat! Measuring over 6 inches tall and approximately 8 inches in diameter, this detailed bust is set on top of an art-deco base inspired by the show’s distinctive architecture. Limited to only 3000 pieces, it comes packaged with a certificate of authenticity in a full-color box. Sculpted by Varner Studios! (Item #AUG162554, SRP: $59.99)
Batman Animated Series Premier Collection Nurse Harley Quinn 12” Resin Statue
A Diamond Select Toys release! Hello, nurse! On the TV classic Batman: The Animated Series, Harley Quinn played dress-up almost as often as she wore her now-iconic jumpsuit. And this all-new 12-inch resin statue depicts one of her most memorable clothing swaps – a nurse’s disguise! Nurse Harley blows a kiss to her next patient while wearing a short, white mini-dress and standing on a logo disk base. Limited to only 3,000 pieces, this statue comes packaged with a certificate of authenticity in a full-color window box. Sculpted by Clayburn Moore! (Item #AUG162553, SRP$ 149.99)
Beetlejuice Movie Reelware Pint Glass
A Diamond Select Toys release! Troubled by the living? Is death a problem, and not the solution? Unhappy with eternity? Then pour yourself a drink in this movie-inspired pint glass, kick back and call Beetlejuice! This pint glass features the original advertisement that prompted Barbara and Adam Maitland to call the revered bio-exorcist in an attempt to reclaim their home, and kicks off a new line of merchandise based on the classic Tim Burton film Beetlejuice. Packaged in a full-color window box. (Item #AUG162571, SRP: $10.99)
DC Gallery Justice League Black Canary PVC Figure
A Diamond Select Toys release! The heroines of the DC Animated Universe are expanding their roster! As seen on Justice League Unlimited, this 9-inch scale PVC figure of the Black Canary depicts Dinah Lance unleashing a sonic scream at her opponent, wearing her classic, comic-inspired leather jacket and tights. Figure is in scale to all Gallery and Femme Fatales PVC figures, and comes packaged in a full-color window box. Sculpted by Varner Studios! (Item #AUG162555, SRP: $45.00)
Ghostbusters Slimer Cookie Jar
A Diamond Select Toys release! Looking for cookies? Check inside Slimer! The food-loving ghost made famous by the Ghostbusters feature films and animated series is now a ceramic cookie jar! Measuring approximately 12” tall, this class 5 apparition is quite solid, so you can’t just stick your hand into his stomach and grab what you want, but a removable lid will grant you access to whatever Slimer recently ate. Packaged in a full-color box. (Item #AUG162572, SRP $150.00)
Marvel Gallery Hulk PVC Figure
A Diamond Select Toys release! The Marvel Gallery just raised the roof! Clocking in at approximately 11 inches tall, the Incredible Hulk is the biggest Marvel Gallery PVC figure so far! Based on his comic-book appearance, the Hulk flexes his muscles in a show of strength, with one foot on a heap of rubble, in a Sam Greenwell sculpt that features a high level of detail and exacting paint applications. It is in scale to all Gallery and Femme Fatales PVC figures, and comes packaged in a full-color window box. (Item #AUG162570, $45.00)
Muppets Muppet Show Glass Tumblers
A Diamond Select Toys release! It’s time to get things started! It’s time to pour the drinks! You can’t help but smile when you’re drinking a tasty beverage out of these nostalgic glass tumblers featuring the cast of The Muppet Show. Inspired by fast-food glassware of yesteryear, these tumblers sport all-new original artwork spotlighting main Muppets Kermit, Fozzie, Bunsen, Beaker and the Swedish Chef, as well as their supporting casts! Each glass comes packaged separately, in a full-color window box.
Muppets Kermit Tumbler (Item #AUG162573, SRP: $9.99)
Muppets Fozzie Tumbler (Item #AUG162574, SRP: $9.99)
Muppets Bunsen & Beaker Tumbler (Item #AUG162575, SRP: $9.99)
Muppets Swedish Chef Tumbler (Item #AUG162576, SRP: $9.99)
National Lampoon’s Vacation Movie Reelware Pint Glasses
A Diamond Select Toys release! Who’s the moosiest moose we know? Marty Moose! Who’s the star of our favorite show? Marty Moose! Relive the craziest road trip you never went on with these two pint glasses that are straight outta Walley World! With one depicting Roy Walley’s famous creation Marty Moose, and the other showing the full cast of Walley World characters, both glasses are the ultimate in cinematic souvenirs, inspired by the movie National Lampoon’s Vacation. Be the first in your neighborhood to drink like a Griswold! Each glass comes packaged in a full-color window box.
Walley World Pint Glass (Item #AUG162556, SRP: $10.99)
Marty Moose Pint Glass (Item #AUG162557, SRP: $10.99)
Nightmare Before Christmas Santa Sally Unlimited Coffin Doll
A Diamond Select Toys release! The leading lady of the stop-motion animation holiday classic Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is back, and Christmas will never be the same! With an all-new head sculpt, this unlimited, single-packed 14” doll of Sally the Rag Doll in her Santa Claus outfit features a real cloth costume over a fully poseable body, with hidden internal articulation at the knees and elbows. Packaged in a coffin-shaped window box. (Item #AUG162564, SRP: $99.99)
Predator Minimates 2-Packs Series 3 Asst.
A Diamond Select Toys release! The hunt continues! The Predator Minimates series returns with another assortment of figures based on the classic action films Predator, Predator 2 and Predators. In this series, Thermal Dutch faces off with the classic Predator, Muddy Royce faces off with a Cloaked Berserker, the Falconer Predator teams up with the Warrior Predator, and a rare, one-per-case 2-pack features a Cloaked Falconer! Each 2-inch Minimates mini-figure features 14 points of articulation as well as fully interchangeable parts and accessories. Each 2-pack is packaged on a full-color blister card! (Item #AUG162565, $9.99/ea.)
Offered Again: Marvel Select Cable Action Figure
A Diamond Select Toys release! Because you demanded it, the return of the man called CABLE! The founder of X-Force, Cable always comes ready for battle, with big guns and even bigger ammo, and since his debut he has loomed large in the Marvel Universe. Now, he’s traveled from the past to rejoin the 7″ Marvel Select action figure line! Wielding multiple weapons, including one that can be mounted on his shoulder, Cable comes with a detailed display base, referencing his most famous foe, Stryfe, and features multiple points of articulation. Figure and base come packaged in display-ready Select packaging, with spine artwork for shelf reference. (Item #OCT142189, SRP: $24.99)
Find your nearest comic shop at comicshoplocator.com!
SDCC 2016: SDCC Exclusive Hasbro Marvel Legends The Raft featuring Dreadknight, Enchantress, The Purple Man, Sand Man, Spider-Man and Abomination
The coals of SDCC 2016 are still sizzling. Friends and colleagues are still getting their packages home, opening boxes, delighting in all of the goodies they found at the convention. It can be argued that there are none more goody than the amazing exclusives from Hasbro, including the Collector’s Vault which we took a look at last week, and now, today, the SDCC 2016 Hasbro exclusive Raft action figure set. The set features an exceptional package of 6! SIX figures ($119.99 retail). Look out below for our insights on the amazing characters in the set, Abomination, Enchantress, Dreadknight, The Purple Man, Sand Man and Spider-Man.
Hasbro continues to push the boundaries of awesome packaging with their convention exclusives. The Raft packaging features a flip up window reveal of the “prisoners” on the Raft being “observed” by a creeping Spider-Man. It’s massive, somewhere around 3 feet long. All the figures are inserted nice and snug in a plastic tray. Upon removal, the cardboard art interior makes for a good photo shoot backdrop.
- There is legitimately no pose you can’t get this Spidey in.
- This Spider-Man is based off of the 2015 Marvel Legends Spider-Man wave Spider-Man (ya know…with the Pizza). While he’s mostly a repack, two massive points to note.
- Improved hip articulation.
- New and improved head sculpt.
- Since he’s the only good guy in the set…he could probably have used some accessories…to fight all those bad guys.
- Abomination is a re-release of the Abomination BAF wave Marvel Legends series…he was the BAF in that wave. This figure was pretty awesome in the first place.
- Massive and bulky, great representation of the character.
- Nice, evil face.
- Amazing mold detail / sculpting.
- Paint job is not as intricate / interesting as the original BAF release.
- Beautiful face sculpt.
- Included accessories fit well.
- Excellent line detail throughout, very sharp, clean lines.
- When you can see specific eye shadow detail on a figure…that figure wins.
- Due to high heels, Enchantress is very difficult to get standing up.
- Deep interesting paint coloring / wash. Looks weathered, shimmery.
- Sword holster!
- Excellent iconic weapons included (sword and lance).
- Head sculpt – nailed it.
- Cape fits perfectly.
- Included utility belt!
- He doesn’t come with his trusty steed.
The Purple Man
- Purple through and through.
- Excellent head / face sculpy and paint.
- He looks classy and ready to command.
- Perfect body type for the character.
- This is an excellent re-use of the Chameleon Marvel Legends body!
- Thinner / lighter body type is difficult to keep in a standing pose without a stand.
- Outstanding goonish head sculpt / face sculpt.
- Solid paint application, very clean and sharp lines.
- Hair sculpt looks great!
- I love the size!
- Sand Man would benefit from Sand texturing.
- Would have enjoyed a swappable hand accessory or two.
SDCC 2016 has been an amazing convention for Hasbro. 2 absolutely epic Marvel exclusives in 3.75 inch and 6 inch, tons of great Star Wars and Transformers exclusives. They do it every year and they nail it and we all get the benefit. My only sad is that Hasbro doesn’t do this kind of awesome for NYCC anymore…maybe one day…one day.
First sold on the show floor at SDCC 2016. This set will be available for a limited time in limited quantities at hasbrotoyshop.com. The site lists 8/9 as the on sale date. After that, Hasbro will take remaining stock on the road to the Fan Expo Canada in September 2016. The set retails for $119.99
I’ll make a point of this one more time just so you can all reflect upon how much it stinks…MUReview wasn’t at SDCC 2016. We brought you some great news and images from the show floor, but it was only what our good friends would share with us. We thank them all profusely for that. Really, it means the world to us. None is more world meaning to us than our friends at Diamond Select Toys. They have unloaded upon us a ton of great images from their booth on the show floor. Something I was truly desperate to bring to you fine folks, but couldn’t.
Diamond Select Toys, thank you, thank you, thank you! Let’s check out their booth together, you and me, for the first time! For just a little bit of context, what you’ll see in the gallery is all the amazing goodies out and coming for 2016 from Diamond Select Toys, Minimates, Marvel Select, Bust Banks, Ghost Busters, Aliens, X-Files, DC, Marvel, it’s the best of all worlds, which is what Diamond Select Toys has ALWAYS offered their fans! That said, go through the images with me. I’m not looking at them till this post goes live and I can scroll through the gallery with the rest of the world. Thank you again Diamond Select Toys for sharing this with us!
SDCC 2016 Exclusive Marvel Legends The Collector’s Vault featuring: The Collector, Cosmo, Lockjaw, Moon Boy, Howard the Duck
One of the most storied SDCC Exclusive items of all time…on MUReview.net at least, The Collector Vault. Before SDCC…way before SDCC, this set popped up on eBay. No one knew what it was, or where it was going, but thanks to some friends that had to have it, MUReview had some up close pictures to share. Now, finally, this gorgeous set is in our own hands for us to bring you pictures of and give you our own thoughts for. The set features The Collector, Tanleer Tivan in all of his collecty glory. It shows his collection in an amazing and clever (as usual) package. In his collection we have Cosmo, Lockjaw, Moon Boy, Howard the Duck, and a few very special artifacts from the Marvel Comics Universe. Let’s take a look!
The Collector’s Vault packaging is another amazing Hasbro creation for it’s Comic-Con fans. This fits the context so well. It’s a vault showing all of The Collector’s trophies. It’s right up there with how neat the Deadpool Taco Truck was. This and the Raft from SDCC this year gave me a really hard time of getting over the hurdle to open. I’m going to see what I can do about getting these back in the package for display, because it’s that freaking cool.
- The Boss Hog of this set is one of the nicest figures I’ve seen in the Marvel Legends 3.75″ line. I’m saying that because I’m biased, and I love him, but also because it’s true. He looks fantastic.
- Eye black, white hair, mutton chops. This is the Tanleer Tivan we have grown to love. So happy we didn’t trip fall and accidentally get a Benicio Del Toro version. I enjoyed his portrayal, but let’s be honest, there can be only one!
- The cape, the sash, exceptional in design look and feel. The texture is eerie feeling.
- Highly articulated, all, literally all of the available bells and whistles.
- He doesn’t come with the Solar Sword.
- Moon Boy is flocked (his furry bits are furry textured).
- He has an impressive amount of articulation for a figure this tiny. Head movement, ankle movement, ball joint hips and arms spin / raise.
- Good facial detail, this character is well captured in this smaller than 3.75 inch figure.
- When you get Moon Boy, you don’t complain, you just be happy you got Moon Boy.
Howard The Duck
- Howard looks like a duck…that is in the comic books. He really does look great, very detailed.
- Howard is not an articulated figure. It would have been nice to see him with the limited articulation that Moon Boy has as they are similar in size.
- When I first started collecting Marvel Universe figures so long ago, Lockjaw was one of the first characters on my want list, along with the rest of the Inhumans. Now, thanks to this, we are one step closer to completing the royal family!
- Lockjaw comes with one point of articulation, and it’s awesome. His doggy jaw opens and closes!
- Perfectly captured tuning fork on his head.
- I say this understanding the nature of the release, the limitation of it, and know, how much is really going to be invested in making these figures fully articulated. I get it, but it would be cool to have moving parts for legs for pose-ability. Maybe a sit pose?
- If Lockjaw was one of the first characters on my want list, Cosmo was the first, right after Nova Prime. To have him is a glorious moment in the sun for me.
- He looks dead on with his comic counterpart.
- Cosmo is well detailed and his uniform is textured.
- Cosmo is missing his glass “hood”.
- This is another “statue” figure, no articulation here. Having a pose-able Cosmo would have been neat, but I’m counting my lucky stars to have him in the first place. Thank you Hasbro!
Casket of Ancient Winters
- Awesome sturdy little box that doesn’t open.
- Highly detailed!
Wand of Watoomb
- This is an outstanding comic re-creation, faithful to the original, with faces on either end of the wand.
- At first glance this looks like one of those flimsy felt letters that kids play with. At closer look, it’s made of more durable material than felt. It is also finely and intricately detailed with tons of minuscule lines and ridges.
In all my years of collecting, and SDCC / Comic Convention exclusives, this one takes the cake. It gives me Marvel Cosmic characters that I never dreamed I’d own that weren’t custom jobs. Each figure is highly detailed and looks great. A set like this is the reason I collect.
First sold on the show floor at SDCC 2016. This set will be available for a limited time in limited quantities at hasbrotoyshop.com. The set should go on sale, per the HTS site, 8/9 and will sell for $69.99. After that, Hasbro will take remaining stock to Fan Expo Canada in September of 2016.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment’s runaway smash hit game, LEGO Dimensions, made a huge splash at San Diego Comic-Con this past weekend. Check out below for a quick recap of the show from LEGO Dimensions: