It was a fantastic time getting to sit with the Marvel Select Guardians of The Galaxy figure series. In the set we get 5 highly detailed, incredibly articulated, very awesome figures, for characters that we have all grown to love. I really enjoy each figure and putting the base together (one piece per figure pack) is satisfying and gives you a great display piece. I have mine setup downstairs on a shelf, but be warned, the base is fairly large and will take up a good chunk of shelf space. On the huge plus side, you can get all of the figures on it, and while it is uneven in spots (by design / due to it representing actual shapes), the figures do a great job of being able to stand on all of it’s surfaces. That said, without further ado, …oh wait.
For anyone confused by the Groot review, I loved it, the Groot figure is really just fantastic, the right bulk, amazing facial expression, ankles are a little loose, but otherwise, just absolutely an awesome figure, you’ll want to own it.
Now…check out the group shots!
I Am Groot
I am Groot. I am Groot. I am Groot. I AM GROOT. i am groot I am grOOT. i AM groot. i aM groot. I Am Groot. I am Groot. I am groOt. I am Groot. i AM GROOT. I AM GROOT!
I Am Groot | I Am Groot | I Am Groot | I Am Groot | I Am Groot
I Am Groot
- I am Groot.
- I am Groot.
- I am Groot.
- I AM GROOT.
- i am groot
- I am grOOT.
I Am Groot
I Am Groot
I am Groot. I am groOt. I am Groot. i AM GROOT. I AM GROOT!.
I Am Groot
I am Groot. I am Groot. I AM GROOT. i am groot. I am grOOT.
I Am Groot
Marvel Select Gamora and Rocket Raccoon
Gamora and Rocket Raccoon, a two-fer-Thursday! But wait… Rocket and Gamora? Doesn’t Rocket come with someone else? Maybe we’ve been conditioned to accept that as an inalienable truth, but Diamond Select Toys is breaking the mold here and we’ve got the Green One with the Grumpy Furry One, and I’m not complaining. This is a really nice set of figures and probably the most articulated Rocket to date.
Gamora | Rocket Raccoon | The Rest | Availability | Photos
- So. Many. Weapons. Gamora comes with 2 sets of guns, monster sword, knife. All fit perfectly in her hand.
- Diamond Select really nailed her short hair look.
- Stoic face captures about 75% of all Gamora expressions, looks fantastic.
- Gamora features a ton of great articulation allowing for fun action poses. It’s really rare that a figure gets a two handed sword that they can get two hands on, and that happens here with ease. She can even manage to swing it above her head!
- The frame for this figure is perfect, slender yet strong, really adds to the character feel.
- Gamora came with a few sets of hands and just a cache of weapons, which is great, but I’d trade at least half for an alternate head, she’s stone faced here, and that’s one of her expressions, but she also gets very mad, and she has a big sword…see where I’m going with this?
- On all of the figures of this series the paint has been very clean. I’m not sure if it’s the dominant white paint on the figure but there is a lot of stray paint here if you look closely. It’s fine for shelf display, but discerning collectors probably won’t be thrilled about this if it’s prevalent on all Gamora figures and not just a QC issue on mine.
- Not sure if it’s an issue with just my figure, but I am unable to get any good
- I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am, this is run away the most articulated Rocket Raccoon figure in the history of Rocket Raccoon figures. He can move arms, legs, elbows, ankles, head, tail, get into all sorts of fun action poses! He’s even got tiny ab-crunch!
- Rocket has a pair of guns all his own.
- His outfit looks comic great.
- Expressive angry Rocket face is well captured.
- Like his package mate, Rocket suffers from some stray paint.
With this package, you get two complete, desirable action figures that are high quality, that means value. For the same $24.95 MSRP as the other 3 figures in the series, it’s a literal two for one and that should make mouths happy. While getting over the stigma of Rocket and Groot being in a different package could take a minute, I realized and you should as well, that Groot on a single card is pretty massive, and at the very least it was probably easier to package Rocket with Gamora due to space reasons more than anything else. Either way, this set is a must buy, especially since, you’ll want to complete the dio-base, though we have two figures here, we get one base piece with clips.
Big Bad Toy Store has them for purchase. DisneyStore.com also has the set, and I’ve said it before, keep your deal radar up, because it starts at $24.95 at Disney, but coupon codes and sales will save you tons here.
Marvel Select Drax
Yesterday we had a look at the boss, Star-Lord, today we get a look at the brute, Drax. Coming as part of Diamond Select Toys 2017 Marvel Select Guardians of the Galaxy series, Drax brings his bulk and looks fantastic doing it. I’d call him the highlight of the series, but every figure (of the 4 carded, 5 total) shines bright on their own. Drax has a ton going on, so let’s waste no time and jump in.
- Drax has a very solid head / face sculpt, his face is expressive and the shape is perfect. The outlining around his eyes is especially good, as is the furrowed brow …without eyebrows.
- Carved in rune / tattoos explode off of his body in bright red.
- The paint wash on his metallic / armor pieces adds incredible depth to the look and feel of the character.
- Drax is the character that most transcends his iterations as they all look similar, so this figure will fit with quite a few different team versions, especially at this scale. So if you collect outside of Marvel Select, he’ll work in a lot of places.
- Included weapons are appropriate, fit well in his hands, look great, and allow him to show off the muscle.
- Drax is very well articulated and just as well balanced.
- Drax, like Star-Lord and the rest of the gang, comes with a dio-base and clips to connect it to the other 3 pieces included with the other figures, good detail on this piece.
- Drax came with 2 pairs of extra hands and 2 weapons. I’d of traded either for the below two things:
- An alternate “angry face” head.
- A pair of knives with knife holsters on his boots. This is the first Drax since I think the Silver Surfer series figure in the 90’s that I’ve seen without the knives, and it’s messin’ with my head.
Settle yourself, you love the Guardians of the Galaxy, that’s why you read this, so you are going to need to pick up this whole set. I can’t recommend Drax by himself, because I can’t recommend you buy less than the whole set…you don’t have a choice, just go with it, and go get them. You won’t be disappointed.
Big Bad Toy Store has Drax available for purchase, along with the rest of the series of Guardians figures. While I love BBTS, there are incredible deals to be had at DisneyStore.com. Keep an eye out for coupon codes and 40% off sales, if you save a little cash, it makes it easier to pick up all four figures, and you will want them… I told you that already, pay attention.
Marvel Select Star-Lord
Starting off Marvel Select Guardians of the galaxy week, we are going to have a look at the Head Jerk in Charge, Star-Lord! A little background though, around late 2016, maybe a little bit before, it came out of the woodwork that Diamond Select was tackling the Guardians of the Galaxy. They set their Marvel Select team of artists off to design the Guardians of the Galaxy in a style that only Diamond Select Toys can do, and what came out is 5 beautiful figures that have all of the swagger of the Guardians themselves. This iteration of the team is from the modern comic run of Guardians of the Galaxy. Let’s check out Star-Lord.
- Star-Lord looks comic-fantastic here. The mask, the coat, the boots, the satchel, it’s all there.
- The paint on Star-Lord’s mask and metallic armor pieces is really nicely executed, looks great, adds so much depth to the character.
- Star-Lord features his elemental guns, and those guns have little punched out pieces where they can clip to posts on his hip. Nothing like a holster to make me happy! Despite just being pegs, the guns stay on very well.
- I very much appreciate the included flight stand and boot blast effects! They lead to some fun posing!
- Articulation here is really very, very good. There isn’t a Star-Lordy pose that isn’t possible and that’s saying a lot, most times figures with a long coat are limited in movement, but the cut of the coat and mix of articulation work very well here.
- Star-Lord includes a piece of the build a diorama base with clips to connect it to the other base pieces.
- The boots…this figure is really hyper detailed and looks great soup to nuts, but those are the coolest boots I’ve ever seen on an action figure, they even feel neat to touch. That’s not weird is it? Does that make me weird?
- The left hand of Star-Lord, the peg seems like it’s too small to hold either the packaged or alternate hand on. When I manage to get the hand on, the best I can hope for is that it just dangles there. This doesn’t affect most poses and is likely a manufacturing defect vs a flaw with the figure, but I’d love to hear your experiences if you have the figure.
- Star Lord has two heads. One head he’s masked and has …pretty yellow hair. The other head he’s unmasked, and has clearly brown hair.
- The legs on my Star-Lord are a little loose in the joints. He can still hold a pose, but I have to futz with it a little.
All things being equal and honest, I was mad at a few things with this figure, actually mad. First and foremost, the packaging gave me fits as usual, everything is wire tied down. I don’t know if it’s an added feature, exclusive to Disney Store figures or what, but the package features a new security button. When you open the side of the package the button pops into two pieces and flies off the package. This was on all four Guardians figures and I know my dog is going to find at least one of those button pieces. I’m done venting though. Getting past the few issues with the figure and my packaging rage, this is a really fantastic figure that I’m thrilled to own and you will be too. He moves really well, he looks great, and those freakin’ boots!
Your best bet for the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel Select series of figures is the Disney Store / DisneyStore.com. They have frequent discounts and sales, and you should be able to get all four figures for well under $100 on the right day.
Diamond Select Toys just keeps on cranking out hit after hit in their 7+ inch Marvel Select toy line. 2016 has brought some amazing figures to the table for us, and here at MUReview, well, we’ve been lucky to get our hands on a bunch of em’. The ones we held, and the ones we didn’t, we have our favorites, and it’s time to share them with you. After the sharing of our top 3 favorite Marvel Select figures of 2016, let’s have a look at what I’m hopeful for in 2017!
3. Spectacular Spider-Man
There is no greater Marvel Select Scale Spider-Man available. The accessories, the pose-ability, the dead on iconic look. If you have to have Spider-Man in your collection, whether you collect in the 7+inch range or not, this is the one to get folks, look no further! We didn’t get a chance to review him for you in 2016, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love him any less. Maybe in 2017!
2. Avenging Captain America
The Avenging Captain America is a remarkable figure, Cap in one of his darker colored outfits still manages to explode with bright color. Another exceptional sculpt out of Diamond Select Toys captures the first Avengers in an iconic outfit with a great stand (hail hydra).
1. Doctor Strange
Doctor Strange was a massive gap in my Marvel Select collection up until very early this year. In fact, he may have been officially released minutes before 2016, but I’m still counting him because I love this figure. Beautiful stand, great magic effects and the likeness here is impeccable. This is Doctor Strange in his most classic and recognizable costume. This is the Doctor Strange I wanted, and the Doctor Strange I needed, and my favorite Marvel Select figure of 2016.
Wishes for 2017
My wishes for Marvel Select in 2017. It’s time. I’d like a modern Marvel Select Nova Prime with a classic Nova running change. He’s returned, it’s time! I’m itching for that Lady Deadpool to stand alongside my Deadpool. I’d also like to see some re-releases, Kree Mar-Vell, Watcher, Mephisto. Burst the bubble of these lunatics that are trying to re-sell on Amazon and eBay north of $2000. That’s just me being spiteful…and I’m ok with it. I have a Mephisto, I have a Watcher. These are remarkable figures that more people should own, and not at mortgage payment prices! More than all of the above, I just want Diamond Select to give me awesome figures in 2017, what’s cool about that wish, I know they will. All the stuff they make is awesome, it’s the law!