MUReview had an awesome time reviewing the Marvel Legends Wave 1 Spider-Man wave for everyone. This last post is just some fun group shots and some zaney poses to cap it all off. We hope you enjoy the wave and the photos and the reviews as much as we did!
Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1: BAF Sandman
We are winding down our tour through Marvel Legends 2017 Wave One. We’ve hit on seven amazing single carded figures, and today we get a look at the big bad Build-A-Figure. Sandman gets his first official Marvel Legends figure (the former being 2007 releases from a Spider-Man branded Legends line, a BAF and regular Sandman)** I 100% spaced here. This is not Sandmans first official Legends release. That came as part of the Raft SDCC Exclusive in 2016. The set was amazing, the Sandman was amazing. You can read the full review here. We loved him, but as far as general release, this SM still counts as numero 1. As with all previous figures in this wave, the current really buries the former in the dust. Fans of Spider-Man, fans of Sandman, and fans of fine figure making will find a ton to love here. Let’s check out how Hasbro did with Sandman.
- Sandman is in perfect scale with this wave.
- Massive accessories feel solid, sturdy, and I was able to balance Sandman reasonably well with them attached.
- Sandman comes with two heads. One is human, the other is outright disturbing, showing sand-battle damage. Check out the gallery, that Hasbro was able to capture such a haunting visage for a character that I don’t really find all that creepy is exceptional.
- The person to sand transformation that is captured in this figure is very well done.
- A lot of attention to detail here with regards to veins in the sculpt.
- Solid paint application, not dazzling art on Sandman, he’s a simple character, but he’s well taken care of from paint and design perspectives.
- If you have been waiting for a de-facto Sandman for your Legends collection, this is it, undisputed without question.
- I know I know…always greedy I am. We got a ton for this figure, but a pair of human / non-sand arms, I feel like would have made sense here as well.
Sandman is a fantastic build a figure that adds value to an already very solid wave of figures. Figures, all of which, any Marvel Legends fan should be happy to own and want to go buy. .The options that come with this BAF set it apart from many that came before, normally a BAF is a BAF and what you see is what you get, but that you can change up Sandman in a few ways enhances the value further. Happy hunting, this brilliant wave should be hitting big box retail soon!
Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1: Shocker
Shocker, our final “regular” figure review of 2017 Legends Wave 1 (still more to come of course)! Another rogue from Spider-Man’s seemingly endless gallery. Shocker is baddie most of us know and love, not an incredibly deep dive into the catalog, but one none-the-less that is absolutely necessary and this fills a massive gap in 6 inch Marvel plastic. This is Shocker’s first official entry in the Marvel Legends toy line (not counting his 2005 Spider-Man line release). I feel like the fine folks at Hasbro approached this figure with that understanding and went the extra mile to make the wait worth it. The wait was worth it.
- The paint application here is perfect. There is a lot of fine line work, especially with the mesh on yellow and it all looks razor sharp.
- This is really a great take on one of the more memorably clad Marvel villains. While it’s not his first appearance costume that so many hold dear, it is a familiar take if more modern.
- Shocker’s gauntlets look fantastic.
- The “plasma” energy accessories work well for the character and fit well on his hands.
- Shocker’s facial expression tells the whole story of the character from start to finish and all’s it takes is that wink.
- I would have liked to have seen Shocker with his belt, painted or molded on, i don’t care.
- The knee pads stand out a little bit too much for what they are for me. I’d of traded them for the above belt and some boot cuffs if it were up to me.
Hasbro has given us another iconic and recognizable Spider-Man villain with Shocker. A figure that was really way over due. As previously stated, he made an appearance out of a Legends compatible Spider-Man line from Toy Biz in 2005. This figure compared to that figure though, we are talking diamonds and rust really. This is a pretty figure, a great representation of a must have character, and ultimately, it’s figures like this that keep me collecting. Take a classic, make him shiny and new, and I’ll find space for him on my shelves I promise! Also, want to give a nod to Marvel Legends 3.75. They will see their own first official “in-line” Shocker this year too! I”m sure he’s going to be at least this awesome!
Shocker is available from our friends at BigBadToyStore, but only as part of the whole set or full case. For a little more than retail, you can pick Shocker up at Amazon. You might also want to just hang back, because these figures should be showing up at standard retail stores very very soon. There is another option too. Head on over to our friends at Kastor’s Korner. They will be giving away the full wave…”soon”. And remember…fortune favors the bold. Patience favors the broke.
Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1: Jackal
Hasbro in 2017 is making some of the most fantastic action figures they have ever made. It’s almost like cheating though. Like watching an iPhone event “this is the best iPhone we’ve ever made”. I guess you’d hope that right? Why even make an iPhone that isn’t as good as the last one? Still though, Hasbro keeps doing it, every figure that rolls out of design is better than the last, and the most recent culmination is the Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1 Spider-Man / Sandman BAF wave. So far we are a few figures deep. We’ve seen fantastic Spiders, creepy Goblins, even an Inhuman, and a Limey Spider-Man. Today, we are going to look at an iconic and well traveled Spidey villain from the wave, Jackal. Marvel’s Jackal if yer nasty.
- This is an action figure with a scary face. Twice in this wave, and not the last, which is bananas.
- Amazing tone and definition throughout Jackal’s body highlights his small frame with muscle and tendons you can actually see.
- Defined chest furrish substance.
- Perfect frame for the character.
- Really nice articulation here allows for some very sinister poses.
- The only bad here is that it’s the figure by itself. We have another opportunity for an alt head that could have been used with not only Jackal but other figures.
If you are keeping up with your Spider-Villains, you’ll need to pick up Jackal. If you like great figures, you’ll need to pick up Jackal. Those are two solid reasons to just pick up Jackal. If you don’t fit those two demographics, give him a look on the shelf anyway. You are probably going to like what you see!
Jackal is available at Amazon for just a little more than retail. Black Suit Spidey is available now on Amazon, again for a little more than retail. He’s sold out at BBTS for individual purchase, but you can pick up the whole wave there. You might also want to just hang back, because these figures should be showing up at standard retail stores very very soon. There is another option too. Head on over to our friends at Kastor’s Korner. They will be giving away the full wave…”soon”. And remember…fortune favors the bold. Patience favors the broke.
Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1: Black Suit Spider-Man
Marvel Legends fans rejoice. Your Black Suit / Symbiot Spider-Man is here. Not since the 2008 Red Hulk wave of Marvel Legends has Black Suit Spidey gotten the treatment. Since then so many Spider-Men have rolled off of Hasbro’s production lines. The wait has been worth it. From what I can tell this bad boy is of the same mold / buck as Pizza Spidey. A favorite in the collector community due to incredible design and even better, one could say, top notch articulation in the Marvel Legends scale / line. I almost want to tell you not to bother reading, just go buy this Spider-Man, but I will give you some quick hits as to why he’s worth your dollars.
- He’s the first Black Suit Spidey in almost 10 years from Marvel Legends.
- He looks amazing, just an outstanding page to plastic replication of a character.
- Articulation for miles and miles. He’s got thigh cuts, hinged chest joints, double everything. There really isn’t a pose you can’t get him into.
- The deep black contrasts perfectly against the sharp white and the paint application is very clean.
- Black suit Spidey comes with fisty hands and open web slinging hands.
- This is a brilliant figure. It’s only too bad that he didn’t come with the scope and bredth of accessories afforded to Pizza Spidey. This is the Black Suit equivelent of him, so the same treatment would have been appreciated.
- One piece of articulation isn’t on the list, calf spin.
The universe of collectors out there has been waiting a long time for an update on this absolute classic, must have Spider-Man. The black suit is iconic for so many reasons, and this treatment of it is exceptional. If you have been waiting for this, your wait is over, there is no reason to hesitate in picking this up, it’s a fantastic figure, well made, amazing articulation, perfect size, scale, feels right. He’s great. This is your black suit Spidey. Go, go now, get him!
Black Suit Spidey is available now on Amazon, again for a little more than retail. He’s sold out at BBTS for individual purchase, but you can pick up the whole wave there. You might also want to just hang back, because these figures should be showing up at standard retail stores very very soon. There is another option too. Head on over to our friends at Kastor’s Korner. They will be giving away the full wave…”soon”. And remember…fortune favors the bold. Patience favors the broke. These will turn up at retail soon. And I don’t ever want to stop saying that fortune thing. I did yesterday, it felt wrong. Never again.
Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1: Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan
Oh those pesky Inhumans are popping up everywhere now. ABC, Vs. X-Men, the Champions…and that’s where we land. Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan! She’s figure number four in the Marvel Legends 2017 Wave 1 Spider-Man series and she’s really a very nice figure of a character that I’m not personally a big fan of. Beloved by me or not, the Marvel Legends team at Hasbro really pressed all the right buttons here and got everything right with this figure. In fact, my only real complaint as you will read has to do with physics and gravity, and no one has really solved for that yet.
- Absolutely perfect body type for this young female character.
- Very well designed extending arms. The fact that there are additional hinges is really pretty awesome.
- Perfect character likeness here. There really isn’t any variance between figure and comic page.
- Attention to detail, she’s got the arm bangle on her normal and extended arm!
- The hair on recent female Marvel Legends figures has really been outstanding sculpt wise and that continues with Kamala Khan. They keep getting it right and it continues to be truly impressive.
- Further on with recent female hits, Hasbro does a fantastic job of capturing the characters face down to the sly smirk.
- Using her extended appendages presents some balance problems. Nothing a figure stand can’t fix.
All things being equal, this modern Ms. Marvel isn’t one of my favorite characters. I’ve always preferred Mar-Vell as Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel. I’m old, I use that as my allowance for this clearly backwards thinking. It’s a testament to the amazing work done by the good folks at Hasbro that, as a figure, I like her. The plot gets a little thicker for me here though, and I would have had to pick her up in the long run anyway. I’m nuts for Nova. I’m less nuts for Kid Nova, but they get me on a technicality. Guess what? Kid Nova is coming to Marvel Legends in 2017…and soon! With the Guardians of the Galaxy wave! That means I’m a few steps closer to building the Champions! Then…the trouble becomes Totally Awesome Hulk… These are first world problems people, I can’t make this stuff up.
The lovely Ms. Marvel can be purchased at Amazon for a smidge above MSRP. She’s currently sold out at Big Bad Toy Store, but you CAN go there and grab the whole wave. You might also want to just hang back, because these figures should be showing up at standard retail stores very very soon. There is another option too. Head on over to our friends at Kastor’s Korner. They will be giving away the full wave…”soon”.