Marvel Artists Tag Team With Capcom For Covers Inspired By Game Characters
New York, NY—May 17, 2017— It’s time for heroes and villains to collide as one of gameplay’s most epic team-ups brings its characters to the front lines – of comic books. Marvel is pleased to announce a series of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite Variant Covers, inspired by and featuring characters from the popular game. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite will be released on September 19th, but you can find these variants in comic stores throughout the month of August.
“Fight fans, if you can’t wait until September 19th to see heroes from two awesome universes collide in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, we’re bringing you a sneak peek one month earlier when the battle explodes onto the covers of your favorite comics,” said Marvel Games executive creative director Bill Rosemann. “The game makers at Capcom and Marvel are working closely with a team of the industry’s top talent to deliver all the over the top intensity you’ve come to expect from this fan favorite franchise.”
This summer, the popular Marvel vs. Capcom series is brought to life in comics. Don’t miss your chance to be a part of the action with these awesome and stunning variant covers – enhance your collection with all 20 covers coming to comic shops this August.
- ALL-NEW GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #7
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #31
- AVENGERS #10
- BLACK PANTHER #17
- CHAMPIONS #11
- DEFENDERS #4
- DOCTOR STRANGE #24
- GENERATIONS: BANNER HULK & THE TOTALLY AWESOME HULK #1
- GENERATIONS: THE UNWORTHY THOR & THE MIGHTY THOR #1
- HAWKEYE #9
- I AM GROOT #4
- INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #10
- MIGHTY THOR #22
- ROCKET #4
- SECRET EMPIRE #8
- SPIDER-MAN #19
- SPIDER-MAN/DEADPOOL #20
- THANOS #10
- THE MIGHTY CAPTAIN MARVEL #8
- VENOM #153
To find a comic shop near you, visit www.comicshoplocator.com
or simply chat with some of your favorite heroes with Marvel’s chatbot accessible through Twitter and Facebook
Amazon Exclusive Sinister Six – Spider-Man Box Set
It was at some point before Toy Fair 2017 that my good friend, an “insider” at Hasbro tipped me off to keep my eyes on Amazon. At that point, I did just that. The series of events from that point is fuzzy, but I think I saw and shared the announcement at the Hasbro Toy Fair event. An Amazon Exclusive Marvel Legends 3.75″ Sinister Six Box Set was coming! I pre-ordered from Amazon at about the same time. As luck and brainless living would have it. While I was asleep at the wheel, Amazon charged, packed, and shipped this gem to me over Mother’s Day weekend, and now…well now it’s here for you in all of it’s glory.
But what is it’s glory? A little background on the set. Remember ToyBiz? Most people that make their way here should. Before Hasbro made Marvel Legends, ToyBiz made Marvel Legends. Before ToyBiz made Marvel Legends, they made Marvel Superheroes, a five or so inch scale toy line that featured, you guessed it, Marvel Superheroes. Each figure had it’s own gimmick or accessory and was for better or for worse, the basis for my post GI Joe collecting life into my young pre-teen years. This set pays tribute in grand fashion to that Marvel Superheroes toy line and packaging. Placing Spidey and his staunchest adversaries inside throwback card backs all strung and folded together and placed in a lovely informative sleeve. Showcased is the cover for Spider-Man annual #6 from 1963, the cover features the Sinister Six in original, classic costumes. So does the box set.
Before we dive in, it should be stated that each of these figures has been released before in the Marvel 3.75 inch line. Each figure is a repaint to represent the time period / costume of the character relative to the set theme. Let’s check them out!
Doctor Octopus | Electro | Kraven | Mysterio | Sandman | Spider-Man | Vulture | The Rest | Availability | Family Photos
- Doctor Octopus is a classic color repaint of the Marvel Legends 2015 single card release.
- As opposed to the previous release, and it’s probably just mine, I find that the tentacles fit in a little better here.
- Doc Ock has a more full head of hair this go round, the bowl cut is still definitely visible and I adore it’s “mom did it” charm.
- Ock’s tentacle recolor in black looks great!
- As with the previous release, making sure the tentacles went into the right back hole was a little bit of a challenge. It may be that any can go in any, but in some spots it didn’t feel right.
- I’ve got a bunch of Electro figures. They all look a lot like this one, yet this one stands out as the best by far because the coloring is what I want it to be in my head.
- This Electro features the character in his most classic and memorable costume with the colors just dead on.
- Face sculpt perfectly captures his mask.
- Clean lines and paint application.
- He’s just so bright and comic-booky!
- Electro would have been perfect with the inclusion of electric burst wrist cuffs.
- Kraven saw his first and only release in his modern form as a Marvel Universe figure as part of wave 18 in 2012. Wow…wave 18 was 5 years ago! In that release he was featured in his modern costume. This release sees him in his classic / vintage costume. Fans will be delighted.
- From head to toe, Kraven looks every bit a character from the 60’s. Bright orange coloring, Zebra print.
- The only difference apart from paint and accessories for any figure in this set is Kraven’s legs / feet. Check out those ballet slippers! Perfectly captured…and if I may, completely ridiculous, why would he be dancing around the jungle in those?!
- Really clean paint app here!
- Man oh man does he cry out for a spear!
- Mysterio gets his second run, and it’s a good thing because folks were very excited about his first run.
- This second iteration features Myserio in his 60’s costume. As opposed to his first release, with the addition of the costume lines, he feels significantly more complete. The line work is great, fine detail, well applied and clean.
- The overall color scheme for me works better for the figure than in his previous release.
- The picture on the box shows Mysterio’s cape clips as gold, but on the figure they are pink / purple.
- I thought when we got the single card Sandman we got him in his classic colors. Hasbro has proven me wrong. I would suggest there is none more a classic Sandman than this one.
- The pale green is perfect.
- The shirt stripes are dead on.
- The brighter sand color makes his sand limbs stand out so much better!
- I got one question for ya….do you smell what the Sandman is cookin?!! I’d be remiss if I didn’t say something about that whacky eyebrow. It’s pretty noticeable and a rough knock on an otherwise awesome figure. I’m pretty sure it’s a quality control issue and fairly certain Hasbro wasn’t going for a sideways painted eyebrow on one side and almost none on the other. Still, if you get one like this and it bugs you, a headswap to the single card Sandman which you can now find for a very reasonable price will do the trick. **UPDATE Confirmed, Sand Man eyebrow issue appears to be this one one, I’ve seen images of several others who have ordered and they all look normal**
- We got this single card Spider-Man in 2016. While folks weren’t thrilled with the articulation, the design and paint were truly top notch. This figure carries that forward and gives us the classic pale blue and red Spidey colors, for which I am grateful.
- I say that, because I said that when I talked about the hyper articulated Spidey released with Shocker as a two pack not a month ago. Now that Hasbro has gone and outdone itself, I’m going to need this paint app on that Spider-Man body, please and thank you.
- Still though, for shelf show, this will likely take the place as favored Spidey till the more articulated mold is updated with these old school colors.
- That back spider is perfect!
- When you stand him next to the latest Spider-Man release from the two-pack, you just want this scheme on that mold… horse is dead now, moving on.
- Really nice color adaptation for Vulture here, the brighter wings and brighter costume look great.
- Added art detail on the costume with feather like lines.
- Hasbro did a great job of making Vulture look much younger with the same headsculpt as the previous release featuring a much older look.
- The wings on this release of Vulture are staying in more solidly than those of the previous release. Probably just that it’s newer, but still, I appreciate when wings stay on.
This Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six Box set is fan service at it’s finest. The set features classic villains, classic costumes, incredible design, and packaging that is second to none. A note on the packaging…I kind of feel like folks were in the Hasbro offices joking about how long they could make an action figure package. Marvel 3.75 team wins at about 5 or so feet when the set is expanded, bravo! Kidding aside, fans of Spidey need this, fans of ToyBiz Marvel Superheroes want this. The real struggle will be to keep it in this Marvelous package or take the figures out.
This is an Amazon exclusive set, and available now. If you buy it from this link…well, I’d be mighty grateful. Click here to grab it for $79.99. 7 figures, 80 bucks…VALUE!
REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– According to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States, the Nintendo Switch system was the best-selling video game hardware in the month of April with more than 280,000 units sold. This is the second month in a row that Nintendo Switch has led the pack in video game hardware sales, following a record-breaking launch in March. April sales of Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems (more than 68,000 units sold) combined to make up almost half of all hardware sales across all dedicated video game systems.
This is the second month in a row that Nintendo Switch has led the pack in video game hardware sales, following a record-breaking launch in March. (Photo: Business Wire)
The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game was the top-selling video game in April with more than 460,000 physical units sold. With digital sales added, the total is more than 550,000 units. Making this number more impressive is the fact that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launched on April 28, which only accounts for two days’ worth of sales in the reporting period, which cut off on April 29.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game for Nintendo Switch continued its legendary run, coming in as the third-highest-selling video game in April. The critically acclaimed open-air adventure will receive even more content with the upcoming launch of two DLC packs in the summer and holiday season of this year. The DLC is now available for pre-purchase via an Expansion Pass. 1-2-Switch and digital-only game Snipperclips – Cut it out, together! also saw strong sales in April.
Nintendo will look to continue this momentum into the summer with a series of great new games for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS. The upcoming lineups for both systems include Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Nintendo 3DS, May 19), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers from Capcom (Nintendo Switch, May 26), ARMS (Nintendo Switch, June 16), Ever Oasis (Nintendo 3DS, June 23) and Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch, July 21). Nintendo 3DS games Hey! Pikmin and Miitopia both launch on July 28, the same day as New Nintendo 2DS XL, Nintendo’s newest hand-held system.
*Data regarding physical sales of games are from the NPD Group. Data regarding digital downloads of games and combined physical/digital life-to-date numbers are from Nintendo’s internal sales figures. All numbers, unless otherwise stated, are specific to the United States only.
For more information about Nintendo, visit http://www.nintendo.com/.